Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Memories- 27th February - This day that year

Fatherhood was round the corner! Circa 2003, 27th February.
February is rather pleasant; Spring time, when nature sports the best hue of the year, this year was no different. Mom had turned 54, so I was up rather early to call and wish her. Happy Birthday Mom, may you have many more !!! My wife was her chirpy self, singing the birthday song over the phone and wishing Mom on behalf of us 'THREE'. The third one was in his 27th week and yet to see the light of the world. Hertummy was now showing and my pretty wife looked prettier than ever. Amazing what pregnancy does as a beauty enhancer. I was a proud husband and an even proud and budding father.
Dropping her at office, I told her I would be early to pick her up. It had been quite sometime since we went out for dinner on a weekday. She blushed in romantic expectation and her rosy cheeks glowed brighter.
Both of us 'deadly' workaholics; me a Telecom-Marketing/Communications pro & she- a Banker- Between us we spent a whopping 180 hours an average every week at the work-place. Watch out for Karoshi I used to often joke.
The day virtually zipped past, I had called Mom twice again to wish her. Small gestures that I thought went a long way in cementing relationships.
A pre-paid subscriber promotion meeting was on; my CEO had announced to me 'AB, lets do a SMS free burst.'...As I did some serious number crunching, my phone vibrator buzzed. It was my next door neighbor, Mukund. He worked for Oracle.
Excusing myself, I answered the phone "Yes Mukund".
" My apologies for disturbing you, have you by any chance left your main door open?" he asked.
"No", I said.
"I think its ajar". I was worried now.
"I think G must have come home then, could you please check?".
I fished out my personal phone and began dialing her number , No response. Little wonder, she never answered her mobile. Thanks to my company, they provided free mobile connections to spouses of Managers too.
Mukund meanwhile rang my door bell, I could hear the gong like door bell.
"No response buddy", he said.
"Can you check if anyone is inside", my heart-beat was racing, as I lit up a cigarette.
" No one in the living room"....
"Oh shit", I heard Mukund exclaim.
"What happened?", I yelled. Many of my colleagues turned around to look at me.
"Your house has been burgled". Mukund observed.
"I am coming" .I thanked Mukund and hung up.
Little did I realise that it was time for me to pick up G as well for our proposed dinner. She can wait, I thought as I swerved into our street. One of the best addresses in the city, the erstwhile chief minister also lived in our street. A high security, 24x7 patrol street.
Burglary sounded an impossibility, that too in broad day light. Our apartments had security guards too.
I reached home. Mukund was waiting for me. The house was indeed burgled. I couldn't really figure out what had been stolen..
'Holy shit", I remembered. G had just cleaned up her bank lockers and had brought all her jewellery home the earlier night. Now all was gone. We, Indians love Gold, my wife was an exception. She was planning to send all this stuff (approx 450 grams) back to her Mom with a cousin who was due to fly out the day after.
My mobile rang, it was G. I told her I was stuck at work and asked her to hail a cab home.....7 months pregnant, did she deserve all this now?
As I scanned the house, I saw they had burgled both the bedrooms, stolen all the metals that looked precious, plus the kiddy bank. My prized collection of watches had gone too....
I turned around to a shriek, it was G...she had screamed and collapsed in a heap.
Memories of that day haunt us still, this evening as we called Mom to wis, G turned to me meaningfully. I could see tears well up those deep eyes.
"I remember sweetheart, every single moment of that day"as I hugged her tight and held her close.
"They stole every single piece, didnt they?", she asked me sobbing.
Memories...they will never cease!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that was the year when burglarly was rampant in Kuwait, I read many news about it way back in 2003. BTW, best wishes for your preggy wife, good luck!